Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Master Study 3: Step-by-Step


This study ended up being quite a bit of fun. I tried a few things with the brushes that I'm sure a lot of you illustration majors have done before, but were pretty new to me. I'm always curious about how people go about trying different things, so here's a basic step-by-step of what I did:


To start out with, I painted some basic brushstrokes and scanned them in. Then, one by one, I created a brush from each stroke. I saved them into a brush file called "paintbrushes," so whenever I needed them I just loaded the paintbrushes file within the brushes window. Pretty handy.



Next, I used the brushes to created the basic background. The custom brushes worked really well in creating a painted feel.



Next, I used some of the same brush but with different presets to create the graffiti writing. I ended up creating an additional brush that was a drip. Being able to change brush sizes easily meant I could do different drip sizes easily as well. Pretty cool. After I got what I wanted, I used Hue/Saturation to colorize the layer.



I traced the black outlines in Illustrator, but without having a tablet, it was tough to get the line quality I wanted. So rather than mess with the Illustrator brushes, I set the stroke to 0 (leaving just the path), and pasted it into Photoshop as a path, which I then traced with a brush for a consistent stroke.



Lastly, I went back and painted behind the lines of the traced outline, each color on a different layer. The final study isn't quite as detailed as the original, but I wanted to explore the different brushes more than the outline detail. I think it turned out pretty well; I'd never really used custom brushes before, and the more I use them, the more I'm starting to realize how cool they can really be.

2 comments:

  1. Great job Dustin! and great post too. Your custom brushes worked really well. In Photoshop when you make a brush stroke a path you can tell it to simulate pressure. It sometimes works if you have your paths cut up into chunks because it will go the whole length of your path with a thick and thin similar to an art brush in Illustrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your progress!! Very accurate on the colors and shapes.. Usually people just use photoshop brushes for the texture but I like how you chose to make it more crafted-like by using your real scanned textues. I can't wait to see what ya got. good job

    ReplyDelete