Saturday, July 18, 2009

Interpretation Week 3

For my interpretation this week, I decided to work with a drawing I did in last semester's figure drawing night class. Here's the original:


To start out, I placed it in Illustrator and traced it with a custom art brush that I made.


Next, I imported the vector image into Photoshop and threw down some basic colors behind the lines.


I more or less added and subtracted things until I got something I was happy with.



I'm no expert when it comes to skin tones, so any tips in that departement would be very much welcome. Overall though, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I tried a version where the colors were within the lines, but I liked this looser version better. Even though I'm not the best at it, I really do enjoy painting, and this seems like pretty much the same, only a lot quicker and easier as far as mixing different colors is concerned. If I do any real paintings in the future, I could see myself using a technique like this to, at the very least, try some things out before laying anything down on real canvas.

4 comments:

  1. look really good. I can see were the techniques came in handy. As for skin tones i can't really help you. I have looked at alot of sources for it and basically i have come up with the fact that the tones are subjected to what kind of environment there in. Like when you cover a flashlight with your hand it turns more orange. The color of your skin changes. The best advice i have is just study the change in different colored environments

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet i like how it turned out
    i like the brush effect alot

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job Dustin! I love the step by step post too. It usually helps to do an adjustment layer over the colors towards the end and slide it around till it looks right to you. It may feel like a stretch, but it is also good to purposefully make some of the flesh areas out of cool colors instead of warm. You could at this point also add some shadow and light areas to define the form more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good I like this style you used here. As far as skin tones go I just use cmyk with 0 Cyan and Black and move the Yellow and magenta sliders into the range of 20-30 percent, I'm sure thats not the right way but thats what I do.

    ReplyDelete