Monday, July 27, 2009

Final Week: Proposal

For my final, I'd like to put into motion a project that I've wanted to do for quite some time: a book. Over the summer I purchased a couple 'zines from artists around the country and quickly became fascinated with these home-made yet visually sound projects. I've create a few books in the past, although nothing too complex, mostly because I simply didn't have the skill set.

From both a design and production standpoint, I think this would be an interesting project to tackle. In papermaking, we've been talking a lot about and researching different kinds of books, bindings, materials, etc., so making this by hand would also be an easy possibility. Researching these different materials/substrates is also useful as far as packaging or printed materials are concerned. Mostly, though, I just want something tangible that I can show and/or give to people at little cost. I'm also hoping this may open its way to more collaborative projects in the future, as I've begun to gather the address of a lot of smaller named artists that I look up to in hopes that, at the very least, we can share some ideas.

*Lots of photos to come

In my posts this week I hope to outline what exactly I plan to do and how certain tools will aid me on this project. Today, I started out by researching. Although I didn't allow myself near enough time, I added at least 35 more bookmarks to my delicious that kind of point to certain directions that I want to go in. I think these bookmarks will be a very useful tool. Tomorrow, I plan on posting a bit of what I've done in the past and how certain methods I've learned will come in handy and save time in the same circumstances, as well as point out a few techniques that I may want to try out in the near future. I've tried to start this project several times in the past ended up scrapping most of my ideas; hopefully by the end of the week this research and planning can give me a more narrow idea of where I want to go in this.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I got a book from our library called, "What's a Zine" or something like that. I can bring it in to the lab. I don't want to give it up yet though. It is a great little book. Might be worth buying, $10.40.
    http://www.amazon.com/Whatcha-Mean-Whats-Esther-Watson/dp/0618563156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248799088&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete